Wednesday 17 June 2009

Rambling

Ok it has been a while! Well I think so. I'm not entirely sure what day it is right now or how long i have been away. It feels like months rather that like 1 week. So what have I been up to? A heck of a lot.

The last time I wrote i think I was still in istanbul. Well not long after I caught a night bus to Selcuk which is 3km from Ephesus. The buses in turkey are the best I've ever seen anywhere. They are all like brand new with tvs and everything. I've heard rumours that some buses have one tv per seat and wifi is common. And they all come with a little man who serves complemetary food. Or two little men as was the case this morning.

Anyway, Ephesus was cool. Its all just ruins but the great theatre is still pretty much in tact. Its a huge 25000 seater ampitheatre. There was this american guy playing 'light of the world' and other such songs on a trumpet. Random. I wandered off the tourist track and found a church where the 3rd Ecumenical council took place. There were no one at all there which was nice. Ephesus was pretty much abondoned in the 4th or 5th century. So you can image what it was like when Paul and co were there.

I walked back to the hostel through the countryside. It was a nice walk. Footpath lined with dut trees so it was shady and gave me food. Met some people on the way. A guy showed me how they get the silk from a cacoon which was interesting enough. Another guy sold me some peaches. He lokoed lonely so I sat in his cafe and talked with him for a while. And then I walked past the temple. Once it was one of the 7 wonders of the world. Only one column remains. But it was a nice place and i seen turtles.

Also in Selcuk this boy showed me into a huge citadel up on a hill. The citadel is closed. He brought me in through a hole! There were fantastic views but i was a little scared he was going to take all my money or something! I took out the little cash i had in my wallet and put it in my pocket. When he asked for money for his services i was safe.

I then took a bus to Goreme. Was sitting beside a tour guide. He told me he would help me find my next bus but then he disappeared and left me standing so i dont like hime so much! I got to the hostel about 8:30 and spontaneously dicided to join a tour group that left just a few minuted later. I was pretty exausted from the bus but i thought it would be good to get to know some people. We seen this underground city. 8 level. 500 people used to live there. Goreme area has a few underground cities and a lot of houses and churches built into the hills. Like petra. Fleeing christians apparently.

I got back to the hostel that evening. I was going to go out for food with some people and then disastor! I counted my money and a lot was missing. I searched my bad thoroughly. I have no idea where it went! This combined with my lack of sleep the previous night meant I was not feeling so good that night. But I talked about it with some people and felt a bit better. Thankful i have a credit card so i can withdraw money. Though its probably costing me a lot.

My second day in Goreme (yesterday) i went hiking with a german guy. He is making his way to nazareth to volunteer in a hospital there. I told him i was probably in that same hospital last june with dieing mark! We must have walked for 7 hours straight. The landscape there is really weird. Its like what id imagine the moon to be like. But with some greenery. People still live in the hills. Like hobbits. Its quite and quaint. Goreme is just a village. And it was not very warm. This made a very nice change from istanbul which was the opposite.

I came back from our hike and i still have the blisters on my feet!

So last night I took the bus to antakya. Near syria. A few other people I had met before were on the same bus including the guy i was hiking with. I like how this always happens. I've only done one bus trip by myself so far.

We arrived in antakya this morning. We were waiting for our bus to take us to alippo in Syria. Suddenly the whole building shock. It was like a train was going by and we were in an old wooden building. But we were in a massive, new, concete bus terminal. And there was no train. Earthquake! It must have lasted only 4 or 5 seconds but everyone had ran out of the building. My legs were shaking after. But it was very exciting. My first proper earthquake!

Arrived in Aleppo, Syria at about 12. Me and this brazillan couple. We were looking for accommodation when this canadian guy showed us his hostel. We were feeling very lost. Syria is so different from Turkey. And Aleppo is a big city. 4million. Its crowded and dirty and hot. The opposite of goreme where we had been the day before.

I spent half of this evening trying to find an atm that would take my card. My money goes so much further in Syria which is great! Then I walked around the old city. There is a nice souq where i bought this robe thing. I have no idea why i bought it. Seemed like a good idea at the time i guess. There is a very cool citadel in Aleppo. You can see right around the city. Hopefully heading out of the city tomorrow evening. Aleppo is ok but I'm not so keen on the tight, dense streets and the smog.

I hope this random ramblings haven't bored you too much. Its hard to write when so much has been happening and i can hardly remember half the things now.

Oh i passed pgce.

2 comments:

steve said...

hey pete pete!
hpws life?
read... sounds cool!
congrats on passing pcge...
im glad to hear the walking quota is still bein maintained!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am trying to put up a website about people's experiences in Turkey. www.iwasinturkey.com

Would you be interested in publishing this article on my site with a referral back to your blog.

Let me know what you think.
You can reach me via info@iwasinturkey.com

onur